Sister Emily Mangum is a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, serving in the New Mexico Albuquerque Mission.

February 11, 2014

The Work Continues

Hi Mom and Dad! 

Thanks so much for that story on miracles and specific prayer! It really is amazing.  There has been a big emphasis on that here as well.  Specific prayers.  Although, ours were never that specific.  Guess we are just going to have to try it!

Although we haven’t had a miracle like that yet.  The Spanish Elders in our district did.  They came to district meeting with this amazing story (and keep in mind this is the area that had one lesson one week. They have never had any solid investigators) apparently, they are now teaching an entire congregation.  They met this pastor and got to be good friends with him, so the pastor brought them in to teach his congregation and they picked up at least a dozen new investigators.  And several of them were at church on Sunday.  

We have had the usual stuff going on. We had our first lesson with a part member family this week. Teaching the two little kids Taylor and Tristan. The grandparents were there and the inactive mom seemed really engaged, but the dad got up and left as soon as I mentioned Joseph smith. Oh well. 

Pretty much that's the most exciting thing that happened this week. It’s been a fairly dull week.  Most of our appointments fell through or got cancelled. But that's the nature of missionary work.

The past few weeks have been some of the hardest weeks that I’ve experienced yet, but it is also the time that I’ve seen the most success on my mission.  I really love serving here in Belen. I've met so many wonderful people.  The ward is amazing and the people we talk to on the street are so nice. I am praying that I’m not transferred this next week, because this is the first time we have even come close to a baptism here. 

It’s the down time that makes me the most stressed.  It stresses me out to teach (as usual) but not having anything to do is so much worse.  Then you’re going around trying to stop in on other people or trying to find new people to teach.   It’s especially hard after 7:30pm. Most people aren’t too happy to have missionaries at their house late at night. Which can sometimes be awkward because we aren’t supposed to go home until 9pm.  It’s a little stressful.  Most nights we don’t have a dinner appointment, so we just go home an hour early to eat dinner.  Most people are super grumpy if you show up after 8pm. Not an ideal time to proselyte.  Especially if they have kids. 

Most people aren’t too rude. Just somewhat rude. It’s definitely interesting talking to all types. It doesn’t bother me so much anymore just walking up to someone and starting to talk to them. You learn to show interest in all sorts of things.  I really wish I knew a lot about cars.  It seems to be a common topic.

Yay!  We got more propane, so no more cold water. We turned off the heater so it’s kind of cold at night, but that’s fine. Haha! It’s already getting warmer. It’s not really the heat that worries me, it’s the sun.  I have this freckle on my arm that I’ve been watching for a while.  If it gets much darker, I’m going to call Sister Miller to get permission to go to a dermatologist. 

I know Brooke! I think we are Facebook friends actually.  It is actually really warm here as well. It snowed last Wednesday, but now it’s in the 70's.  I got a sunburn doing yard work yesterday.  We were helping the Elders.  There is so much dead desert grassy stuff here.  Lots of people need it pulled up.  Apparently the windy season is starting! Yay! Sandstorm time.  The first time I saw one, it scared me half to death.

This week we find out about transfers.  It has come so fast!  It’s interesting, looking back, I can see how much I have been able to learn from experiences and circumstances.  It seems crazy to me, when I look at a calendar, to see how much time has already gone by.  I'm at the point now, where my trainer was at when she was called to train me.

I love you!
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment